Tax in le marche, paying italian tax marche, healthcare in le marche, quality of healthcare marche
Magic Marche - Taxes & Healthcare

Our short guide to taxes & healthcare

What taxes am I liable for?
What follows is a brief introduction to property and income taxes and other money matters in Italy. Do be aware that Italian tax systems regularly change and tax matters are rarely straightforward and it is worth paying the usually modest fees to use the services of a local commercialista, (accountant). See our section entitled Lawyer, Accountant, Notary for our personal recommendations.

If you are neither resident nor working in Italy, you need only bother yourself with property taxes on any buildings that you own. Each comune, or town council, levies IMU, a modest tax on property, based on size and type of property and charged to owners. Your local comune also raises a separate, but low tax to pay for refuse disposal called T.A.R.S.U. (tassa per lo smaltimento di rifiuti solidi urbani).

If you wish to work in Italy, or to rent out your property for income (even if you live in another country), things get more complex and use of a commercialista (accountant) becomes really essential in order to avoid falling foul of the Financial Authorities.

What is healthcare like in Marche?
The Italian public health service, generally works very well. A modern, well-run network of hospitals covers the whole region and even in the most remote areas you'll never be far from emergency treatment should you need it.

For minor aches and pains head for the local farmacia, or dispensing chemist. They keep normal shop hours and can be spotted by a green cross outside; they also operate an emergency 24-hour service on a rotating shift basis, details of which are displayed in the window. Unlike many other European countries, the farmacia can dispense certain medicines without the need for a prescription.

In the event of serious illness or injury, the 24-hour casualty department, or pronto soccorso, at any hospital is the place to go.

If you decide to live in Le Marche you will have to sign up with a general practitioner (medico di famiglia) through the local ASUR office and if you are earning you'll have to pay your regular "national insurance" contributions (INPS in Italian). Equally, you can always consult a doctor as a paying private patient without getting involved with the national health system.

Unless you are elderly or chronically ill, you'll normally have to pay a relatively small contribution for prescriptions, laboratory analyses and hospital out-patient treatment.

Dental treatment and opticians in the whole of Italy are excellent but can be expensive and are not covered by the public health service in any way.